Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I LOVE BIG TRAINS!!



























Another train-centered getaway!  We went to Metamora, 1 1/2 hour drive east of Indy.  It is an 1838 canal town located along the 
Whitewater Valley Railroad.  It's been maybe 25 years since I've been there (wow, am I that old???).  I went there with my family and my friend, Shellee, and her mom, Pam.  Oh, the memories...

The reason we went this past weekend was because they had an old steam train there.  And, since Levi is so obsessed with trains, I thought it would be a nice opportunity to see a train up close.  We didn't ride it, for one reason, because it was so expensive.  But, I also thought that Levi would have much more fun watching it from the outside.  We were able to walk around in it while it was parked at the train station; that was pretty exciting!  Then we watched it leave and return for two of its trips.  It was VERY LOUD, which had two different effects on Levi:  screaming in fear or holding his ears.  

When the train was gone on its trips, we walked around and looked in some of the shops, ate lunch, walked through the mill, rode on the horse-drawn canal boat, and ate an ice cream cone.  What a long, but WONDERFUL day!!  Lots of memories!


2 comments:

  1. remember sticking our heads out of the train windows? (now we probably wouldn't be allowed to do that, huh) You brought back a lot of fun memories, thanks for the smile. :) Do you have any pictures of our visit there? I remember one picture being taken as we were leaving maybe? (If I remember right I got a horse that day)
    Loads of fun, love ya!
    Shellee

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is an awesome place for trains in northern Indiana...fb me for details, but it was a place I visited a lot as a kid, and it's decently priced...so worth the trip sometime!

    Stephani Hart

    ReplyDelete